Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cover Story

by Bob Brill
author: Lancer; Hero of the West

Creating a cover for a book can be a daunting experience. Once I created a cover and wanted flames coming through a map. I spent hours figuring it out and with the help of my wife came up with the perfect scenario. We used lighter fluid and a map and with two cameras for different angles set it on fire from underneath. Two maps later we got the perfect shot.

For Lancer I wanted an empty holster with his "crossed lances" insignia. After searching and searching stock photos for a western holster (no gun store in my area had one to photograph) I finally found someone on-line at a gun shop who had the perfect photo. We made a deal and I had my picture. The lances were another story. I did find the right shot at an on-line photo bank and had to pay a minimal fee. The background I will shoot myself.

Now it's a matter of overlaying the three photos to the right position. The proper wording and text will come when I put the photo elements together with the right positioning. Not my most favorite thing in the world to do. Writers usually are not the folks who create their own covers but in today's publishing world you have to be a jack of all trades sometimes.

Stay tuned it will be available shortly. I'll put it on here about the same time if not sooner. We are less than two weeks away from publishing the book and getting it into your hands. Thanx a bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment